May you live in interesting times as the old Chinese proverb goes. Well in the information, communication and entertainment industry we certainly do. Some very interesting questions face our industry whether we look at:
- the outcome of much delayed Indian 3G auction or
- the battlegrounds around HSPA+ and LTE or
- the surging Android ecosystem vs. weakening Symbian or
- the upside potential for WebOS under it new owners
- the potential disruption caused by mobile cloud phones and device
Every major technology advancement has lead to a massive disruption in the handset and infrastructure vendor community.
- In 3G, Motorola’s slim myopia led to its near ruin and has provided huge growth for Samsung and a foothold in international markets for LG and SEMC.
- On the infrastructure side 3G was expertly grasped by Huawei and ZTE leading to a new wave of M & A and a new world order which counts Nortel as a victim and seriously challenges ALU.
So how will the migration to 4G change the playing field?
- Who will benefit most on the operator/service provider side?
- Will Cloud Phones be disruptive in LTE?
- Will operators find a path to realign the traffic/revenue mix with mobile broadband devices?
I would welcome your thoughts on these key questions. Also don’t forget to join our client webinar on Thursday May 27.